Thursday, November 10, 2011

Living in letters #1

I'm waxing nostalgic, but does anyone handwrite letters anymore? Before texting and the internet, I used to typewrite letters--long ones, cuz my handwriting sucks--and send postcards to friends (and significant others). Somehow, the handwritten word is intimate in a way that the web or cellphone (keyboard-/keypad-written word) will never be. Penmanship is a very personal thing (cursive especially), along with sealing the envelope and going to the post office to snail mail it. Like a photograph, a letter is a snapshot of what was happening to someone at their moment of writing it. Unlike email and this blog post, a letter has a feeling of permanence--you can touch it, smell it, fold-unfold it (or rip it). So starting with this, I'll be posting some of the paper products that wound their way into the rusty old mailbox outside our gate. It's sad that technology has robbed us of that simple pleasure of writing letters the hard way. My kid may never have a clue on what's it like licking a stamp--and covering it all over with Elmer's glue (for recycling purposes, so the blue postmarks would easily come off after being dipped in warm water with Clorox bleach)...or maybe I'm just romanticizing.







M a.k.a. F was our idiotor-in-chief back in the day, and I was her ass-o-shit ed. She's now a successful architect.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. gone are the days when we write letters to our friends or loved ones...or if people made a handwritten letter e textspeak naman toink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still handwrite letters :-) it's more personal and intimate i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I handwritten retreat letters for each classmate during HS. And now I think I should write a letter for my dearest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aye,letters written on paper are an artifact of a time when we would take that extra effort to pen a very personal hello :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ang cute-cute lang...hehehe...but handwritten letters are just the best. I have lots of 'em kept safely in my closet. I love writing letters and keeping those that I got, too <3

    ReplyDelete

Trip o dehins?