Monday, November 7, 2011

Space Battleship Yamato, Star Blazers (QuickieComics.com)

http://quickiecomics.com

Even at an early age, I was a fan of Japanese science fiction: monster movies, super robot cartoons, and live-action film. Like so many kids in the 80s, I rushed home every day after school to watch my favorite space opera (no, not Flordeluna!), Leiji Matsumoto's Space Battleship Yamato (a.k.a. Star Blazers in the Philippines/US). The ship was the historical World War 2 Yamato that was sunk, rebuilt and renamed the "Argo" in the English-dubbed SB, after the ship of Jason and the Argonauts. Star Blazers was my first real exposure to drama and mature themes. It explored the full spectrum of human emotions and told about personal tragedy, death/fallen comrades, and the extinction faced by humanity due to alien invasion (by the Gamilons). Along with Mobile Suit Gundam (a subject for another blog post), SB was more than an action-oriented animated series, for it paved the way for arc-based and plot-driven anime. Looking back, it saddens me to see my seven-year-old watching second-rate cartoons today--animated shows that are all special effects, color and sounds, with no real thought or soul behind them, just to keep kids glued to the telly. Truly I grew up in the golden age of animation and am thankful for that. Now if I could only find my way to Iscandar and blow our cable TV with that Wave Motion Gun. http://quickiecomics.com

7 comments:

  1. I don't watch a lot of live-action films, but I can relate with the Japanese animation shows. True enough, I can definitely see how senseless today's shows are than what you guys had during your time. Just to share, I went on a Macross Frontier anime marathon a few months ago. I found the whole intergalactic space colonization concept impressive. And out of curiosity, I watched its predecessor, Macross (1982) and learned to love it a LOT more than Frontier.

    The cinematics and special effects may have improved through time, yet content-wise, some shows/movies from the past are still better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ey Sumi, am glad you "loved" the original Macross too (a.k.a. Robotech).and i don't see why, considering that a 1984 animated film based on the series was titled "Do You Remember Love?" will do an MToyV of it too, stay tuned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pareng rene, sobrang naaawa rin ako sa mga kabataan ngayon dahil wala ng kakwenta kwenta ang mga cartoons, maliban sa mga educational na pangbabies. tapos lahat e tinatagalog.

    robotech ang kinaadikan ko dati, maliban sa obvious na voltes v at daimos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. digs pre! kaya nga yung chikiting ko pinapanood at pinalalaro ko rin ng mga kinagisnan ko hehehe. salamat sa pagbisita! old school toons rule! :))

    ReplyDelete

Trip o dehins?